Monday 28 January 2013

My Introductory!

Hi yall, welcome to "city vibez" where you can learn something new about the urban space in my home country, Trinidad and Tobago.
Vibes/Vibez/Vybz/Vybes however you may want to spell it, is a 'Trini' short for Trinidadian slang which to me, I can't really explain but, has many different meanings. I was told by the urban dictionary it's actually a feeling, a feeling either good or bad.
But there are many different ways and times we "trini" people use the word "vibes". For example " Hey Jim, you feeling a party vibes"---->"Hey Jim, are you feeling the party feeling" or "We go vibes lata"---->"We will meet up later" or "We vybzing on the avenue?"---->"Are we hanging out down town?".
By the way, in no means am I here to give English lessons just trying to make things clear for those who may be wondering what the heck "vibez" mean.

Ok now to the boring stuff, I mean stuff on urbanization! I actually like studying human geography :)

Urban geography can be thought of as being the study of towns and cities as the home of people. Within the scope of urban geography there is the study of "urban place". Urban place refers to the spatial concentration of human economic, social, cultural and political activities distinguished from non-urban/rural places by both physical aspects such as population density or administrative definition and lifestyle characteristics. The country of Trinidad has people of many different races and ethnicity, such bringing about a mix of culture. For this blog I wish to focus on the urban place and try to show how our culture shapes the city and how our lifestyles are reflected in it.



Down town Port-of-Spain




1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's neat that you have a reactions area in your blog -- I think that's real cool.

    I like this photo too -- and the general loose and free "vibe" of your writing.

    I would like to see better referencing, though -- you need to say where the definition of urban geography comes from, eh -- or give some other definitions you can cite. Make sure you provide fully formatted references for your readers so they can check it out.

    I love introductions to the blogs -- they really let you know what's what.

    Good!

    ReplyDelete